Saturday, November 19, 2011

Broccoli and Dried Cranberry Pasta Salad.


 Pasta salads are definitely summer staples. But there is no mythical crazy recipe rule book out there that says you can't make a summer dish in the coldness of fall. So I did it. I made a pasta salad for a potluck!

Everytime I think of pasta salad, I think of the type my family always made - italian dressing, chunks of cheese and some veggies. Good? Yes. Over done? For me? Yes. Want to try something different? YES. 

And this is the beauty of the world because a lot of you readers out there may think I am nuts and you eat this all the time. But for me and my friends, it was fabulous and unique. Regardless, I will be making this again. 

Of course I couldn't come up with this one all on my own. A little help from the Neelys over at Food Network set the tone and fed us some goooood food. I love the Neelys and their southern cooking. I wish their show played in Canada more often. Find original recipe here.

Broccoli and Dried Cranberry Pasta Salad
Time: 15 mins.           CPS:  $1.79 (based on 8 servings)         L of D: Undergraduate

1/2 pound of pasta (penne, rigatoni, bowtie - I used rotini)
1 (16 oz) bag of shredded broccoli slaw - you can sub with regular coleslaw mix - not the same though
1 1/2 cup of nuts or seeds (I used a mixture of pumpkin seeds and almonds - just whats on hand)
1 cup of dried cranberries
3/4 cup low fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup of mayonnaise (not miracle whip)
3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp of sugar
1/4 tsp of cayenne (or more if you like the heat)
Salt and Pep

Cook pasta according to box instructions. Let cool. In the mean time, toast nuts and seeds together in a dry pan - approximately 5-7 minutes. 

In a large bowl whisk together together mayo, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, sugar and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put in cooled pasta, broccoli slaw mix, dried cranberries and nuts. Mix to coat. 

Scrumptious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...