Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How-To: Make Basic French Toast



I love french toast. It is easy to make and composed of ingredients I nearly always have on hand. It is extremely versatile and can please anyone. My french toast has been a bit of a crowd pleaser for the past few years, and it is all because of 1 little secret. Well guess what...my secret is about to be a secret no longer!

(Oh man... I can't believe I am about to give this one away...!)

So there are 2 parts to french toast: the batter and the bread.

Part 1: The Bread
Some professionals will tell you that the bread you use is what makes the french toast awesome. While that could be true, I don't usually use fancy bread. I don't really have fancy bread on hand, nor do many people I know. But I will tell you what fancy bread I am referring to - brioche or challah bread -  or otherwise known as "egg bread". It is light and fluffy, yet sturdy enough to handle the egg batter and a #1 choice for french toast.

You can really use any type of bread you like and different breads will change up the flava, so go ahead and be creative.

Part 2: The Batter
The batter is composed of egg and a liquid (milk, cream, water whatever). That is really all you need. But add flavour to the batter and you add a wow factor to your french toast. I am going to show you some basic ideas to get you started, and then I will set you free! Typical flavours would be cinnamon and/or vanilla.

Okay... here it is.... man oh man.

Basic French Toast

2 Pieces of bread
2 Eggs
Splash of liquid (milk, cream, water)
1 tsp of vanilla
1-2 tsp of sugar

Whisk together egg, liquid, vanilla and sugar (there you have it people! That is it! My little secret! I add sugar and vanilla to my batter! And I DON'T use cinnamon aaaallll the time! Whew.)

Heat a skillet at med-high and melt butter or use coat with cooking spray.

Dip bread in liquid. Be sure not to let it soak too long because if you are using ordinary sandwich bread (like I always do) the bread will fall apart and become soggy.

Place in hot pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown and flip.

Simple. As. That.

Top with your favourite toppings. I like to be inventive with french toast, so please stay tuned for some ridiculous recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...