Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thai Eggplant, Mushroom and Parmesan Sandwich

Recently I posted all about Thai Eggplants as a New Food Challenge - the what, the when, the how.. and I followed up with Basil Thai Eggplants. But clearly that is not enough. Nope, not for this girl. 

Besides my ravenous hunger pains and my determination to cook a hole in my frying pan, I actually just had a bunch of  my Basil Thai Eggplants left over that I didn't want to waste. So with some sauce, a bun, a whooole whack of cheese and a friend to put heads together with, we came up with - ooey gooey THAI Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich!

Keep in mind that this recipe can be used with regular eggplants (obviously). But since I made this with Thai Eggplants, the texture was different in that the skin offered a little snap and crunch. It was interesting and I do recommend giving them a try. Also, commonly the eggplant is breaded and fried, but we are keeping things a little waist friendly here aren't we? 

Thai Eggplant, Mushroom and Parmesan Sandwich
Time: 30 mins            CPS: $2.15  (for 1 sandwich)           L of D: Undergraduate

- 4 cups of quartered Thai Eggplants (or regular eggplants is an obviously substitute)
- 2 cups of quartered Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp of dried Basil
- 1 Tbsp of Oregano
- 1 Tbsp of Garlic Powder
- 2-3 cups of your favourite Red Sauce
- 3/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese
- 4 slices of Mozzarella
- 4 yummy Buns (I used Cibatta Buns)

Start off by cooking the thai eggplants in a frying pan. If you are using leftovers (like I did), then just add the mushrooms in at the same time, however if you are cooking from raw, allow them to start cooking a little first. Then add the mushrooms. Cook for approximately 5-8 minutes tossing every once in a while. Pour in red sauce and dried spices. Allow to simmer for another 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle in parmesan cheese and mix. 
Once eggplants are soft, you know the sauce is ready. Lay out your buns on a cooking sheet and preheat oven to BROIL. Spread eggplant mixture on one side of the bun and a little sauce on the other side. Top with mozzarella and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Keep an eye on these, they will burn quickly as soon as you turn your back on them. 

Then eat them! Well let them cool down a few minutes. I suppose. If you can wait that long.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...