Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Creamy Pesto and Garlic Scape Potato Salad


Ahhh... potato salad. A staple at any family bbq/picnic. I don't know about you, but when I think about potato salad, I think of KFC, grocery store sides, Mom's recipe with chunks of celery, and a whole whack of mayo. Bring back memories? Ohhh yaaa. Actually not that many for me since I do not particularly like chunks of celery in anything. So I typically stayed away from it... or picked the celery out (my mom hated that!)


So I was invited to a bbq a little while ago and on the menu was hamburgers and hot dogs. Sweet! I am jumping on the bandwagon and bringing potato salad. But not without some flare of course. And what a perfect opportunity to use the garlic scapes I just purchased from the farmer's market. 

My mission: to reinvent the potato salad - put a modern twist on it and make it so I actually like it. 
On a budget of course ;)

Creamy Pesto and Garlic Scape Potato Salad
I was making a big batch to bring to a BBQ remember (it made enough for about 12 people to have a a scoop!)
Time: 20 mins.                 CPS: $1.13                            L of D: Undergraduate

- 8-10 Potatoes
- Bundle of Garlic Scapes
- 4 Tbsp of your fave Pesto
- 1/2 block of light Cream Cheese (about 3/4 cup) - make sure at room temp when working with it
- 1/2 cup of Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste

Start off by giving your potatoes a good scrub and chopping them into cubes (cook faster). Ya I left the skins on! So badass I know. Plop them in boiling water for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. 

In the mean time, chop up your garlic scapes and toss them in a little bit of butter in a frying pan. Just until they brighten in color and become tender. Approximately 8-10 minutes. 

In a large bowl mix together cream cheese, sour cream (or yogurt) and basil together. You may find that you prefer your potato salad a bit creamier, if so, add more sour cream. Like more basil bunch? Add more pesto. This is just a guideline of course. 

When your potatoes are cooked, strain and let cool down. Combine with dressing and garlic scapes and season with salt and pepper. Eat cold or at room temperature. 

This is also one of those things that taste really good the next day. 


2 comments:

  1. So excited to try this recipe! It's definitely a reinvented version of potato salad, looks delicious!! ... now I just have to find me some scapes! L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could eat potato salad as a meal! I've never seen cream cheese in it before, but I bet it'd be awesome. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...