Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas



I am a huge snacker. I admit it. I love to snack. But more than that, I love a crunchy salty snack. Yep - I have a salt tooth. Eating chips/popcorn/pretzels can be considered one of my hobbies. Oh man, ESPECIALLY during exam time. A little studying, a little crunching. Come oooonnn ya'll know what I am talking about, we have all been there.  But clearly this isn't something I should be doing everyday (although I want to). So when I stumble on a healthy way to cope with my snack craving, I jump all over it.


Okay so chickpeas. How does that solve anything? Chickpeas are mushy. Well, let me tell you something, magic happens in that oven of yours. When you roast chickpeas, they actually become crunchy - like nuts! Seriously, it is insane. Another awesome thing about this is, chick peas are like a blank canvas. There are so many spice combinations out there to use, I guarantee there will be something to please everyone. A healthy, protein-rich quick and easy snack. Wicked.


This is one particular spice combo I love to use because it is sweet, spicy and salty all in one. YUM. But please feel free to search out some recipes that are available on the net. OR be spontaneous and throw together your own combination ;)

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Time: 30 mins.  CPS: $0.23 (1/5 of a can of chickpeas)  L of D: Undergraduate

- 1 can of Chickpeas
- Cooking Spray
- 1 tbsp of Sugar/Sweetner
- 1 tsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of Cayenne Pepper (or more if you like it hot hot hot!)
- Pinch or 2 of salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rinse your chickpeas and dry them thoroughly. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spread the chickpeas out in a single layer.

Every 8 minutes or so, take a peek at the chickpeas and shake them around in the pan. I estimated about 30 minutes for the chickpeas to cook, but it may take a little longer/shorter depending on your oven so just keep an eye on them the first time you make these. They are done once they are as a crunchy as a nut, not soft inside.



Once you take them out, lightly spray them with cooking spray and throw them in a plastic bag or container. Dump all your spices in and give em a shake!

And you are done.







Cooking Tip for 1: Split these up into little baggies/containers and bring them with you wherever you go. Leave them in your purse for a quick healthy snack. They can last quite a while in an air-tight container. Heck why not make more than one can at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...